Earthing, also known as grounding, is a concept that has gained popularity in recent years. The basic idea behind earthing is that by being in direct contact with the earth, such as walking barefoot on the ground, one can receive health benefits such as reducing inflammation and improving sleep. While some people are passionate believers in the benefits of earthing, others remain skeptical and question the science behind it. This article is for the skeptics.
First, let's define what earthing actually is. Earthing refers to the practice of establishing direct contact between the body and the earth. This can be achieved through activities like walking barefoot on grass, sand, or dirt, or using earthing products such as sheets, mats, and bands that are designed to conduct the earth's energy into the body. Proponents of earthing claim that this direct contact with the earth helps balance the body's natural electrical charge and provides numerous health benefits.
Another popular claim is that earthing can improve sleep. This is because the earth's negative charge is believed to balance the body's circadian rhythm, leading to better quality sleep. Some proponents of earthing also argue that it can reduce stress and anxiety, and improve energy levels and overall well-being.
Do earthing and grounding mats really work?
The scientific community is is finding a common ground when it comes to earthing. There are hundred of case studies providing evidence that grounding can provide a number of benefits, including reducing inflammation, reducing stress, improving sleep, and reducing pain.
Some of this studies include:
- Earthing (Grounding) the Human Body Reduces Blood Viscosity—a Major Factor in Cardiovascular Disease: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3265077/
- The Effect of Grounding (Earthing) on Inflammation, the Immune Response, Wound Healing, and Prevention and Treatment of Chronic Inflammatory and Autoimmune Diseases: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5579659/
- Grounding the Human Body During Sleep as a Countermeasure for Electromagnetic Radiation: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5900465/
- Earthing: Health Implications of Reconnecting the Human Body to the Earth's Surface Electrons: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3265082/
- Grounding the Human Body Reduces Symptoms of Chronic Inflammatory and Autoimmune Diseases: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5579660/
We also invite you to read our complete article on "The science behind earthing"
While there are some who question the effectiveness of earthing, it's important to note that there is a growing body of evidence supporting its benefits. In addition, there are many people who have reported significant improvements in their health and well-being after incorporating earthing into their lives. It's also worth noting that earthing has been used for centuries by indigenous cultures around the world, and these cultures have seen the benefits firsthand.
"The growing community behind grounding serves as a continual study that allow us to measure its benefits and accumulate data to back up this practice."
Earthing and Grounding benefits
If you're considering incorporating earthing into your life, it's important to understand the potential benefits. Some of the most commonly reported benefits of earthing include:
- Reduced Inflammation: Inflammation is a natural response to injury or infection, but when it becomes chronic, it can lead to a host of health problems. Earthing has been shown to reduce inflammation by providing the body with a source of negatively charged electrons, which can neutralize the positively charged free radicals that cause inflammation.
- Reduced Stress: Stress is a leading cause of many health problems, and earthing has been shown to reduce stress by lowering cortisol levels in the body.
- Improved Sleep: Many people have reported improved sleep after incorporating earthing into their lives. This is likely due to the calming effect that earthing has on the body and the reduction in stress that it provides.
- Reduced Pain: Earthing has been shown to reduce pain by providing the body with a source of negatively charged electrons, which can neutralize the positively charged free radicals that cause pain.
What makes the best earthing mat?
If you're looking to incorporate earthing into your life, there are a number of products available, including earthing mats, grounding bed sheets, and grounding yoga mats. When selecting an earthing mat, it's important to consider the following factors:
- Material: Look for an earthing mat made from high-quality, durable materials.
- Conductivity: Choose an earthing mat with good conductivity, as this will ensure that you are able to reap the full benefits of earthing.
- Comfort: Make sure that the earthing mat is comfortable to use and won't cause any discomfort or irritation
Earthing product reviews
When selecting an earthing mat, it's important to consider the reviews and experiences of other users. Look for earthing mat reviews that discuss the product's effectiveness, comfort, and overall satisfaction.